experimental design tool

Here we discuss GenEx help file

Moderator: MultiD Support

experimental design tool

Postby fcarrasco » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:08 pm

Hi, this is actually a question about the experimental design tool connected with the "Help" file. I am a little confused about the meaning of the values in the white cells of the spreadsheet generated by the tool. I thought they correspond to the minimal difference that can be detected with the sample number, significance and power limits selected by the user. However, these values do not match with those observed in the Y axis of the plot, the latest being always slightly higher than those in the spreadsheet. In the "Help" file of Genex ("Choose sample size" section) the explanation is written as follows: "A spreadsheet holds the numerical values of the necessary number of samples needed to reach the given confidence and power limits at the selected numbers of samples points for each selected power limit. This spreadsheet thus gives detailed values of the necessary numbers of samples, as a complement to the comprehensive overview as given in the graph above." I guess that the numerical values in the white cells cannot correspond to the number of samples, since this is a pre-determined value contained in the orange cells, am I wrong?

Could you please help me with the interpretation of the values in the spreadsheet?

Thanks in advance,

Fernando Carrasco
fcarrasco

Re: experimental design tool

Postby Mikael Kubista » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:48 pm

Dear Fernando,
The graph in GenEx Power test did show the result of paired test, while the spreadsheet showed either paired or un-paired depending on your choice. This has been changed in latest GenEx version such that both graph and spreadsheet show results based on your selection. Press F10 to upgrade your GenEx to latest version.

Good Luck
Mikael Kubista

Re: experimental design tool

Postby fcarrasco » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:51 am

Thanks a lot, Mikael!

Beautiful tool to convince the users of my core facility to design their experiments properly!

Best,

Fernando
fcarrasco

Return to Help file